Tourism New Zealand and Tourism Industry Aotearoa have released the results of the latest ‘Mood of the Nation’ survey, which found that 96% of people believe international tourism is good for New Zealand.
The research, which was initiated in 2015, measures New Zealanders’ perceptions of tourism and results found the following:
- 96% of respondents agreed or strongly agreed that international tourism is good for the country;
- 10% know international tourism is New Zealand’s biggest export earner;
- Approximately 50% feel the country attracts about the right number of international visitors; a quarter feel New Zealand should be attracting more, and 21% think New Zealand attracts too many;
- 35% think international visitors put too much pressure on New Zealand;
- When told of forecast growth in annual visitor numbers, 37% felt there was too much growth, while 54% said it was just right and 9% not enough.
The latest survey was conducted by Kantar TNS in Mar-2017.