Finalists have been announced in the prestigious New Zealand Hotel Industry Awards for 2018.
A bumper crop of entries – some 35 percent more than last year – have been whittled down to 36 finalists across 12 categories, ranging from administration employee of the year to senior hotel executive of the year.
The awards recognise the best employees in all key roles crucial to the running a successful hotel, from housekeeper through to general manager.
A new category introduced this year recognises the regional employee of 2018, selected from hotel employees working outside of Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch or Queenstown.
The awards are hosted by Horwath HTL and Tourism Industry Aotearoa.
“It’s been great to see such high-calibre individuals in our growing industry,” says TIA hotel sector manager Sally Attfield.
“Our judges are industry experts, and they had to make some tough decisions on which nominations should go forward to the finals.”
The New Zealand Hotel Industry Awards are billed as the sector’s premier event, and will be hosted at a dinner on July 5 as part of the Hotel Industry Conference at the Cordis Hotel, Auckland.
“The 12 award categories recognise the many key roles that are vital to operating a successful hotel,” said Horwath HTL director Stephen Hamilton.
“Hotels support thousands of jobs and inject millions of dollars into regions across the country, and also give back to their local communities in many ways.”
Hotel Industry Administration Employee of the Year
• Jonathon Brown, Edgewater Lake Wanaka
• Chang Liu, Sudima Hotel Christchurch Airport
• Eugenia Marquez, Cordis Hotel, Auckland
Hotel Industry Concierge of the Year
• Ingmar Becker, Bolton Hotel, Wellington
• Phil Shearer, Rydges Hotel Wellington
• David Tabor, Sudima Hotel Christchurch Airport
Hotel Industry Environmental Initiative of the Year
• Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa & DoubleTree
• SKYCITY Grand, Auckland
• Sudima Auckland Airport
Hotel Industry Food and Beverage Employee of the Year
• Silvy McNaughton, Rydges Hotel Auckland
• Bonn Tucker, Scenic Hotel Southern Cross, Dunedin
• Mick Yuan, Scenic Hotel Franz Josef Glacier
Hotel Industry Front Office Services Employee of the Year
• Peti Hudson, Sudima Hotel Lake Rotorua
• Neil Hemraj, CityLife Hotel Auckland
• Carla Zacarelli, Ramada Remarkables Park, Queenstown
Hotel Industry General Manager of the Year
• Jo Finnigan, Hotel St Moritz, Queenstown
• Iftikhar Hussain, Sudima Hotel Christchurch Airport
• Richard Bungeroth, Te Waonui Forest Retreat
Hotel Industry Housekeeper Employee of the Year
• Kailash Rana, Jet Park Airport Hotel
• Annalise Stewart, InterContinental Hotel Wellington,
• Yoko Schofield, Sudima Hotel Christchurch Airport
Hotel Industry Outstanding Young Hotel Executive of the Year
• Jenna Abramowitz, InterContinental Hotel Wellington
• Hayley Carrington, Novotel Queenstown Lakeside
• Danielle Davies, SKYCITY Hotel and SKYCITY Grand Hotel, Auckland
Hotel Industry Regional Hotel Employee of the Year
• Chanelle Durand, Rutherford Hotel, Nelson
• Sanjesh Naidu, Scenic Hotel Southern Cross, Dunedin
• Rohan Thakur, Te Waonui Forest Retreat
Hotel Industry Revenue Manager of the Year
• Greg Campbell, Hotel St Moritz, Queenstown
• Tracey Higgins, Rydges & QT Hotels Queenstown
• Roma Patel, Sudima Hotels & Resorts
Hotel Industry Sales, Marketing & Distribution Employee of the Year
• Sarwan Singh, Cordis Hotel, Auckland
• Jessica Taylor, James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor
• Leigh Higgens, Sudima Hotels & Resorts
Hotel Industry Senior Hotel Executive of the Year
• Philip Hilton, Accor Hotels, Wellington
• Les Morgan, Sudima Hotels & Resorts
• Hazel Rigler, Grand Chancellor Hotels